[opensuse-summit] Yogyakarta (Jogja) Expression of Interest to host openSUSE.Asia Summit 2016
Dear openSUSE.Asia Summit Committee,

I represent openSUSE Indonesia community to express our interest to host the
openSUSE. Asia Summit 2016 in Yogyakarta, Indonesia.

I believe some of you already met with Estu Fardani in openSUSE.Asia Summit
2015 and Siska Iskandar in GUADEC 2015, they both also have experience in
GNOME.Asia Summit 2015. They are young energetic person and they insist to
bring the openSUSE.Asia Summit 2016 to Indonesia. Well, I believe they can
mobilize the committee for that

So the story goes…..

Indonesia openSUSE Community (openSUSE ID Community) [1], is a non-profit
community to promote openSUSE in Indonesia. The community is also provide
support to openSUSE users that need guide on using openSUSE. The community
established on July 2007 and provide support through various media such as
forum, website, Facebook group, and meetups. Currently the most active media
is Facebook group with 3102 members by March 2016.

There are also many other communities that related to open source software in
Indonesia such as BlankOn, IGN, SLiMs, GNOME-ID, and Linux User Groups in
almost every big city, etc. We believe, together with them, we can organize
openSUSE.Asia Summit 2016.

We plan to held the summit in Yogyakarta (Jogja) [2], the capital city of
Yogyakarta Special Region in Java Island, Indonesia. Jogja renowned as
classical Javanese fine art and culture such as batik, traditional dances,
drama, music, poetry, and puppet shows. Jogja is known as a center of
education (City of Students) because almost 20% of its productive population
is students. The city is colored by the various background of students that
came from various regions in Indonesia. Jogja has private and public/state
universities. Public universities in Jogja are Universitas Gadjah Mada (UGM),
Yogyakarta State University (UNY), Institut Seni Indonesia (ISI) Yogyakarta,
State Islamic University of Sunan Kalijaga (UIN Sunan Kalijaga). Adisucipto
International Airport is the airport in Jogja. It serves many domestic flights
from Jakarta, Surabaya, Bali and other cities in Indonesia and international
flights from Kuala Lumpur (Malaysia) and Singapore.

Jogja has a vision to be a comfortable service city with civilized society and
accountable government. For information technology business development, Jogja
has a high potential students, FLOSS activists and startups. This is what
makes Jogja a pleasant environment for technology development or as an ICT
Valley.

We are sure that Jogja will provide fresh impetus for advancements in
technology and community both in Indonesia and around the world. We confident,
too, that stronger bonds will be established between all of us who share the
common goal of to promote openSUSE in Indonesia and Asia.

I consider Estu (estu@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx) and Siska (seattle.bray@xxxxxxxxx)
already join the mailing list and hopefully they will submit the complete
proposal on time.

And by the way, there are number of GNU/Linux/open source activist/developer
visiting Jogja. Richard Stallman did. Not to mention even Lennart Poettering
visiting Jogja accompanied by openSUSE user in Jogja [3].

We are expecting a positive acknowledgment from all openSUSE.Asia Summit
Committee. Thank you for valuable time you spent in considering the email.

[1] https://opensuse.id
[2] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yogyakarta
[3] https://www.facebook.com/yanarief/posts/10153202346529810

Warm regards,