Re: [opensuse-security] SUSE kernel security features vs vanilla
On Sat, Mar 25, 2017 at 11:00:18AM +0100, Malte Gell wrote:
Am 21.03.2017 um 06:45 schrieb Marcus Meissner:
On Tue, Mar 21, 2017 at 04:31:36AM +0100, Malte Gell wrote:
Just out of curiousity,
do SUSE kernel have security specific patches / features, the vanilla
kernel does not have?

Not specifically, no.

Note that the mainline kernel especially in the last years is getting
quite some new security features every release.

Yes. I just learned about the kernel self protection project.
The kernel can be made much more secure just by using appropriate wise
config setup.

And as this is in the upstream kernel we benefit from it :)

By the way, does SUSE have user supplied statistics, maybe for
enterprise products about hacked servers? That would be interesting to
see, what security holes real life hackers mostly use to break into
systems. Well, as far as customers are willing to give such data back to
the distributor....

None of our customers do report this back to us as far as I am aware.

If you ask me to guess, most intrusions come from unsafe third party apps,
exploits of unpatched systems or trivial passwords. :/

Ciao, Marcus