Re: [opensuse-security] Problems with Squirrelmail update - SOLVED
  • From: Jim Flanagan <linuxjim@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 30 May 2009 07:36:07 -0500
Thomas R. Jones wrote:
I've had a similiar error on other packages. I'm not sure as to the
root cause. I'll have to implement other access controls to find
out---todo.

Anyways, you can recover from this error by moving ReleaseNotes to
ReleaseNotes.orig. And then touch ReleaseNotes.

This saves your original object which has been incorrectly defined as
a directory. Just in case anything goes awry. And then creates a file
object on your system that may be correctly processed by rpm.

You will probably find out numerous objects are fragged this way.

Thanks Thomas,

I followed your instructions and this did resolve the issue. The
Squirrlemail patch did install.

I tried it a few days ago, but due to me not paying attention to the
proper directory it originally failed. I had tried to mv and then touch
the following directory:

/srv/www/htdocs/squirrelmail/ReleaseNotes which did not resolve the issue.

However today I re-read the error message, and the actual directory
referred to was:

/srv/www/htdocs/squirrelmail/doc/ReleaseNotes

So I ran "mv ReleaseNotes ReleaseNotes.orig" then "touch ReleaseNotes"
in the.../doc/ dir and re-tried the update patch.

That brought up a similar error message, but this time with the failure
referring to a different directory, this time in:

/usr/share/doc/packages/squirrelmail/doc/ReleaseNotes/

So I ran your suggestion again on that dir and re-ran the update again.
This time it did install.

Many thanks for the great tip.

Jim F