Re: [opensuse-security] What's up with clamav?
  • From: Thomas Hochstein <ml@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 15 Feb 2009 20:07:22 +0100
"Carlos E. R." schrieb:

My configuration was using "database.clamav.net", which yields a list of
hosts:

nimrodel:~ # host database.clamav.net
database.clamav.net is an alias for db.local.clamav.net.
db.local.clamav.net is an alias for db.eu.rr.clamav.net.
db.eu.rr.clamav.net has address 195.70.36.141
[...]

Round robin DNS, yes.

The thing is that the daemon should be poling any server from the list,

It polls database.clamav.net. Your nameserver will resolve that to one
IP out of the list you posted. Then clamav will connect to that IP.

but somehow it was trying the same broken server repeatedly.

That depends on your DNS configuration, I think.

When that server failed the algorithm should try another, but it didn't.

There is no "algorithm", there is just a round robin DNS
configuration, a cheap way to do load balancing.

And another is that the server is/was down, for days.

That's why there's more than one server.

Did you report the broken server? If not, how do you think it will get
fixed? ;)

-thh