Re: [opensuse-security] mandb is possibly compromised
  • From: "Rajko M." <rmatov101@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 28 Oct 2008 00:35:37 -0500
I have observed apparent "frozen state" on occasion, as well, most
typically when Kerry Beagle runs in the background.

Besides finding a way to set such processes (or the ones listed by the
originator of the thread) to a lower priority, I have found some
apparent partial relief (system appears slow, not frozen) by
experimenting with the swappiness parameter.
It is a subject that has been open to debate by members of the Linux
community with more experience than I have in such matters. Some believe
that the default is right, some believe all you can get is better, and
some believe that the least amount necessary gives the best performance.
Even some kernel developer types seem to not be in full agreement.

What is the optimal value will depend on hardware configuration.

With single hard disk it is good to have some swap, just in case, but tendency
to swap should be as low as possible. There is a single head that is serving
swap and other areas of hard disk.

Some other combination will be better with different values.

--
Regards, Rajko