Re: [opensuse-security] nss-mdns and SuSEfirewall2
  • From: Michael Ströder <michael@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 13 Oct 2008 20:31:24 +0200
Jan Ritzerfeld wrote:
Am Mittwoch, 24. September 2008 schrieb Ludwig Nussel:

Jan Ritzerfeld wrote:
However, the strange part for me is that "avahi-resolve -n
KY623B6B.local" works fine. The summary of nss-mdns tells me that it
would use a running avahi deamon. I have a avahi deamon running, but
nss-mdns tries to resolve the name via mdns by itself. And failes,
because of the firewall.
try "echo mdns off >> /etc/host.conf". There is a patch in glibc
that make glibc itself resolve the .local zone instead of using
nss_mdns.

Oh, I assumed that this patch was replaced/obsoleted by nss-mdns. Wouldn't
it be a good idea either to add "mdns off" when installing nss-mdns
automatically, or to remove the glibc patch?

I'd also prefer if the default configuration wouldn't ship with this
LINK_LOCAL and MDNS crap. At least a checkbox in the network
configuration to switch it off easily.

Ciao, Michael.