Re: [opensuse-security] ACLs, HAL and serial devices
  • From: Jan Ritzerfeld <suse@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 12 Oct 2008 10:32:40 +0200
Am Freitag, 29. August 2008 schrieb Ludwig Nussel:

Jan Ritzerfeld wrote:
Am Dienstag, 19. August 2008 schrieb Ludwig Nussel:
Jan Ritzerfeld wrote:
But using 10.3, I cannot even find any serial device via HAL:
jan@karl:~> hal-find-by-capability --capability serial
jan@karl:~>
Obviously, udev recognizes my /dev/ttyS0:
jan@karl:~> udevinfo --query=all --name=/dev/ttyS0
P: /devices/platform/serial8250/tty/ttyS0
N: ttyS0

That's weird. Normally hal should list that port indeed.

This happens with 11.0, too. Should I file a bug report?

Sure. Don't mention device permissions though otherwise the bug ends
up at my desk ;-)

:-D

If ttyS0 isn't known to hal it's likely a bug in hal.

Does it matter that this happens using a not-docked ThinkPad whose ttyS0 is
physically only available when docked? I do not think so since it is
recognized by udev, though ...

Anyway, I first wanted to check this using a 11.1 Beta, but my ThinkPad has
got a 82566MC Gigabit Network controller. Thus, I will try Beta3 if there
were no more reports of bricked notebooks.

Gruß
Jan
--
The first rule of intelligent tinkering is to save all the parts.