[opensuse-security] ACLs, HAL and serial devices (was: HAL and serial devices)
  • From: Jan Ritzerfeld <suse@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 27 Jul 2008 11:52:49 +0200
Hello,

inspired by the thread "Want to could use /dev/ttyS0 as user" on the
opensuse-factory maling list, I tried to figure out whether access
to /dev/ttyS0 can be granted by HAL/resmgr (since this works fine with the
alsa devices). According to /etc/hal/fdi/policy/90osvendor/80-resmgr.fdi,
access to serial devices should be granted to "members" of the resmgr modem
class (desktop users are not "member" of this class by default).

But using 10.3, I cannot even find any serial device via HAL:
jan@karl:~> hal-find-by-capability --capability serial
jan@karl:~>
Obviously, udev recognizes my /dev/ttyS0:
jan@karl:~> udevinfo --query=all --name=/dev/ttyS0
P: /devices/platform/serial8250/tty/ttyS0
N: ttyS0

I do not need access to /dev/ttyS0, but I do want to learn more about
HAL. :)

Gruß
Jan
--
A fail-safe circuit will destroy all others.