Re: [suse-security] Boot password
  • From: "Amit Joshi" <mckagan@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 31 Oct 2006 10:44:47 +0530
On 10/31/06, John Andersen <jsa@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On Monday 30 October 2006 17:57, Carlos E. R. wrote:
> The Monday 2006-10-30 at 15:19 -0800, John Andersen wrote:
> > > Unfortunately, you not only reset the password, but the rest of the
> > > setup. If there is something critical (like irq conflicts solved by
> > > hand tweaking), the computer might not boot or some device might not
> > > work.
> >
> > Given that he CAN'T BOOT AT ALL, because he does not know the
> > password, what sense does it make to worry about such things?
>
> Where and when did Jithendra (the OP) say that? Can you show the
sentence
> where he says that he can not boot?

He said it right here:

http://lists.suse.de/archive/suse-security/2006-Oct/0055.html

"I forgot the boot password of my SuSe desktop. Can anyone provide me a
workaround to change the boot options or way to disable to boot password
prompt. "

He said that he can't change the BIOS Settings. This probably means that he
has password protected his BIOS. He said he's able to boot to the SuSE
Desktop, which indeed means that he can certainly boot, and has not password
protected the entire system, but only the BIOS Settings.