Re: [suse-security] fou4s for 10.1?
  • From: suse@xxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 23 May 2006 14:15:43 -0400
Michael Galloway wrote:

> On Tue, May 23, 2006 at 11:59:42AM -0400, suse@xxxxxx wrote:
>> ZenWorks is broken. YOU doesn't seem to work. It looks like Novell
>> changed the way their update servers work, breaking fou4s. Anyone know
>> any workarounds?
>>
>> The only ray of hope is that apt is now an official package and seems to
>> work great. I wonder if it might be easier to have fou4s work through
>> apt, rather than the current system?
>>
> try smart:
>
> http://linux01.gwdg.de/~pbleser/rpm-navigation.php?cat=System/smart/
>
> works ok for me.

The smart gui seems to be decent are a package manager replacement, and
I'm definitely going to using it on my workstation, but the command line
version doesn't seem to be geared toward running it in a cron job at
night. Apt pretty easily performs that main function of fou4s, though
fou4s present the information and manages it much better.

Running the following will download all new updates without installing
them, so you can review and install later:

/usr/bin/apt-get -qq update
/usr/bin/apt-get upgrade -d -y -q

Just pipe the output to mail or whatever you want. (I run it inside a
larger script that runs logwatch and tripwire and sends the output of
all three in a single e-mail to me each night) You can then run
`apt-get upgrade` later to quickly install the updates the cron script
downloaded.

I'll miss fou4s's listing the reasons for each patch and the
step-by-step and ignore and fun features like that.