Re: [suse-security] ezmlm warning
  • From: "Carlos E. R." <robin1.listas@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 3 Apr 2006 14:26:42 +0200 (CEST)

The Monday 2006-04-03 at 12:23 +0100, David Bolt wrote:

> > So the bounce message was generated by a different MTA than the SuSE
> > mailinglist server was talking to, which means that this is a case of
> > accept-then-bounce-later, which is bad for the reasons you already
> > mentioned. Unfortunately, this is done by the OP's ISP, so short of
> > complaining about this, there is probably little he can do about it.

Well, the only way to reject an email because it is considered spam is
after complete reception; the scanning is surely done later. It is simply
a «bad thing» to bounce back spam.

I'd complain to the ISP, or change ISP.

> Unfortunately that's true. The bad news for the OP is that, because
> their ISP is operating in that fashion, there are some people, myself
> included[0], who would add the IP addresses of the servers that bounce
> mail to local block lists.
>

> [0] after being on the receiving end of several thousand bounces due to
> accept-then-bounce policies in place at some ISPs, I've been using this
> as method of self-defence.

Mmmm... I don't like blocking lists. I wonder if it would be possible to
block the bounces, and not the rest, ie, the users' mail.

- --
Cheers,
Carlos Robinson
< Previous Next >