Re: [suse-security] sendmail update for suse 9.0 ?
  • From: Jure Koren <jure@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 04 Apr 2006 10:38:06 +0200
Crispin Cowan wrote:
Oh! That would be more than wellcome for newcommers to mail servers
administrators... :-)
IMHO, newcommers to mail server administration should not be messing
with compiling the mail server, they have enough variables to worry
about :) So these newcomers should just use Postfix.
Advanced mail server administrators, on the other hand, are free to go
download the source for Qmail and deploy it themselves. The Qmail
license effectively prevents SUSE from adding significant value, so
there is no point in bundling it.

I absolutely agree with this position, but also have much less respect for DJBs position on his source code. Postfix is an example of great free software and performs very well in a full range of usage scenarios. Consequentially, it is also very secure and also no. 1 choice for a large majority of e-mail servers, for soho solutions and large clusters alike. Being actively developed, it also implements features Qmail is very likely never going to have, as DJB is only one man. I don't see how suse (the distribution) would benefit from bundling this software. I may like it, but I can't use it because of all the issues set forth in this thread.

< Previous Next >
List Navigation
Follow Ups