Re: [suse-security] sendmail update for suse 9.0 ?
  • From: Stefan Seifert <nine@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 04 Apr 2006 13:06:56 +0200
miguel gmail wrote:
Therefore it is basically not possible for SUSE to distribute Qmail. At
most we could bundle the source code and give you instructions on how to
compile it.

Oh! That would be more than wellcome for newcommers to mail servers
administrators... :-)

But especially for newcomers I'd strongly suggest to go with Postfix.
Qmail can be a very reliable, secure and capable mailserver. But to make
it capable, you have to patch it to even get what nowadays is regarded
as basic functionality. And unfortunately the patches don't always work
together, and they can make qmail less reliable and secure. To get a
working qmail up and running like it should, you really have to know
what you do. And if you do that, you can already download the sourcecode
yourself.

I maintain a qmail mailserver myself and compared to my postfix servers,
it's far more hassle to do any changes like integrating a virus scanner.

Postfix on the other hand comes pre-packaged, has it's configuration in
a central location, has a configuration one can easily understand (and
there's enough comments to help you) and nice documentation.

Regards,
Stefan Seifert

< Previous Next >
List Navigation