root password as normal user
  • From: Sean <semico@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 23 Feb 2006 17:44:47 -0600 (CST)
Hi,

I'm a newbie with linux. Using SUSE 9.3 Pro

My root user ID and password work fine. When I log in as a normal user, SUSE Watcher alerts me that new updates are available. I click on the check for updates. Because of permissions, I get prompted for the root password. I put in the root password but it says it's invalid. This did work at one time.

I know it is good because I can switch users and log in as root with the same password.

At one time I renamed my "normal" user ID. The updates still worked though. I have just deleted my normal user and created a new user. This did not help.

Other than what I've done thus far, I have no idea where to go next.

Sean

Everything's easy once you know how

  • No further messages