Re: [suse-security] Re: Openssh + security
  • From: Jure Koren <jure@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 14 Dec 2005 12:29:16 +0100
On Wednesday 14 December 2005 12:23, Crispin Cowan wrote:
> That is not always true. The BitTorrent capability to distribute
> workload is very useful for very heavy, bursty loads. For instance, when
> a new Linux kernel appears, everyone rushes all at once to get it, and
> the web servers sag. But the BT shares just chug away, because the
> people who have fetched even a partial copy start taking up some of the
> load to pass it on to others. The distributed P2P protocol helps to
> absorb the burst.
> But in general you are correct, sharing with Apache is more manageable
> than sharing with a P2P client.

Yes, and BitTorrent is generally not a "classic" p2p protocol. It just enables
one to distribute content more efficiently, but you still need to distribute
the torrent files and have a tracker up to delegate streams. Security-wise,
this is probably the best solution, but obviously not the easiest to set up
and use (and I think this is not a coincidence).

Regards,

--
Jure Koren, n.i.
< Previous Next >