From your logs I see that powersaved fails to start. There
are also some missing kernel modules that fail to load.
This morning after the latest crash I disabled ACPI. This could be also a problem.

Would it be feasable to disable a CPU, and run the server on
a single CPU only, using a plain vanilla non-SMP kernel?
Uh... the people that are using the application from the server won't be too happy ...but it remains an option.

Andy.

----- Original Message ----- From: <suse@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <suse-security@xxxxxxxx>
Sent: Monday, October 17, 2005 7:07 PM
Subject: Re: [suse-security] Strange server crash

From your logs I see that powersaved fails to start. There
are also some missing kernel modules that fail to load.

Does this problem happen when the server is idle?

If so, can it be a problem when the CPU's try to go into
power saving mode?

My other thought was is it a problem with the dual
processors?

Would it be feasable to disable a CPU, and run the server on
a single CPU only, using a plain vanilla non-SMP kernel?

I noticed this in the logs as well.
Oct 17 08:20:55 fileserver sshd[3857]: reverse mapping checking
getaddrinfo for ar-sd.net.155.77.82.in-addr.arpa failed - POSSIBLE
BREAKIN ATTEMPT!

could that be of relevance?

Keith