Re: [suse-security] Problem with second user with uid 0?
  • From: Frank Steiner <fsteiner-mail@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 12 Mar 2005 00:14:20 +0100
Hi Mike,

Mike Tierney wrote

I'm in a similar situation of having to leave root passwords in "a secure
place" incase I am not around. :(

Though in the fsck case there is an alternative I have just thought of, but
the solution may be WORSE than the problem! If you want people to be able to
do a fsck in an emergency, then you could always leave a "Rescue CD" with
your boss... Then if anyone needs to actually do a fsck on a crashed server
they can use the rescue disk to boot up and fsck the filesystem in question,
and then reboot the server.

a good solution for simple PCs, but we also run some IBM pSeries for
which the users first would have to attach the SCSI-CDROM to the right
controller, then enter the pSeries bios via a Hardware Management Console
and chose the boot order in a way very very different and more complicated
from a PC bios. In this case, I really would prefer to let them know the
root password :-)

--
Dipl.-Inform. Frank Steiner Web: http://www.bio.ifi.lmu.de/~steiner/
Lehrstuhl f. Bioinformatik Mail: http://www.bio.ifi.lmu.de/~steiner/m/