Re: [suse-security] Problem with SuSEfirewall and Postfix SMTP?
  • From: John Fawcett <johnml@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 18 Mar 2005 08:27:52 +0100
M. Edwin wrote:
Jürgen Mell wrote:

It's OK too.

You wrote this in your previous email

Mar 17 21:52:18 pluto kernel: SFW2-OUT-ERROR IN= OUT=dsl0 SRC=<our IP>
DST=<Provider's mail server IP> LEN=52 TOS=0x00 PREC=0x00 TTL=64
ID=3530 DF PROTO=TCP SPT=25 DPT=58506 WINDOW=1404 RES=0x00 ACK RST
URGP=0 OPT (0101080A015E41E40C059CEB)

It seems that when you send an email from your server port 25 to your
provider server an error happened in SFW2. (If you have fwlogwatch
installed in your systems it can be easier to read the SFW log. Take a
look in http://fwlogwatch.inside-security.de/)

Email is never sent from port 25. Email is sent to port 25.
The above message (which is likely to be a consequence of another
problem) arises during reception of email from a remote server.

Maybe the remote server disconnected prematurely, probably
because of waiting too long to get a reply. I doubt it's a firewall
problem because mail does go through at times.

So the real question is why does the mail server become unresponsive.
The answer may be in the mail logs (/var/log/mail ?)

John

Can you do a

ps auxww | grep postfix

and send the result