[suse-security] need a way to set more secure 8character passwords
  • From: Bill.Light@xxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 5 Nov 2004 23:14:48 -0800
** "from the bottom of my heart, off the coast of Carolina, after one
or two false starts **

Someone, apparently, hacked my email account

...snip...

or paper or something about nonsense passwords that could be remembered

...snip...

TIA to any and all who attempt to help , I wish you happiness.. and
offer extra good karma points to anyone who has an idea.

Seems to be I have read an recent (this year) article about that subject.
And, if memory serves correctly, it basically said something on the order
of NOT using words stuck together with special characters, and obviously
not just words (on newer computers, dictionary attacks are too quick for
you to react) and just numbers are even quicker to crack. The suggestion
was letters (plus other characters) that mean something to you, which are
not acronyms, but closer to mnemonics. Example mlg.is!2 could mean
something like "my little girl is 2" or Ilc.bSd could mean "I like
chocolate. but SHE doesn't" mix numbers, special characters, and don't
use words (except for you to remember it).

fwiw2u (for what it's worth "2" you)

Good Luck
< Previous Next >