unpredictable DHCP assignment due to missing powertweak option
  • From: dok@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 9 Nov 2004 18:59:30 GMT
I have found that in SUSE Linux Professional 9.1 and 9.2, the powertweak
settings are missing an important feature of at least the 2.6 kernels:
/proc/sys/net/ipv4/conf/*/arp_filter.

When my noteboook is plugged into the ethernet LAN and well as connected to
the WLAN, the wireless AP/router/bridge cannot discern properly between the
two interfaces, since without arp_filter activated the Linux kernel
responds on all physical interfaces to requests for all logical IPV4
interfaces. This confuses the AP, undermining it's firewalling, for
instance. As a result, the MAC-addressed based DHCP IP number assigments
don't work, but instead IP addresses from the dynamic address pool are used.

It would be trivial for me, or any so inclined SUSE developer, to add this
setting to the powertweak package. I am just desparing over how to push
such a fix into the main distro, and optimally, distribute it as a security
fix (which in cases like mine it really is).

Any takers?

-Dirk

  • No further messages