Re: [suse-security] data backup; my security risks.
  • From: Thomas Knight <thomas.knight@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 25 Nov 2004 09:34:36 +0000
On Thursday 25 November 2004 01:09, Kurt Seifried wrote:
> Becuse if the building burns down, or you have a fire and both units take
> water damage, or someone breaks in and steals them, etc, etc you will cry.
> It doesn't take a major catastrophic event to wipe out the computer
> equipment in a building or render the data unretrievable. There's a reason
> people invest in offsite backups. Personally I have two file servers at
> home (I work from home) on seperate UPS's. I also have the critical data on
> a remote server and I burn DVD's/CD's which I place in my safety deposit
> box. If my house burns down, or the server colo burns down I'm not utterly
> f**ked.

One word.... "verify"

Okay, you're possibly fine with your thousand backups, but if someone relies
on a single backup, or even two, there's always a chance that the backup
files lose the plot. It would be a little embarrassing to find that the CD
(for example) you have all your data on is useless just as you're attempting
to restore from it!

If using removable media as a backup, you may have a utility in whatever
backup software you use to verify against a database of what is supposed to
be there. If you're just copying from a hard drive to a CD/DVD/tape then at
least create a list of md5s which you store in a number of safe places, with
possibly a hard copy in a filing cabinet or two ;-)

If you're copying to another hard disk somewhere then you can use
AIDE/Tripwire or whatever to monitor the system for any changes. While you're
at it, do the same for your primary disk storage systems. Remember to update
the database when you make an intentional change. If you don't and you get
used to cron emailing you a list of changes you'll ignore them and not notice
_something's_happened_. Trust me on this!

Anyway, there's no point in backing anything up unless you can be sure the
backup works.

Tom.

Tom.

< Previous Next >