Re: AW: AW: AW: [suse-security] SuSEfirewall2 blocks SMB traffic
  • From: tmp@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 27 Nov 2004 21:06:31 +0100
On Saturday 27 November 2004 20:20, dadirtyluk wrote:
> i would consider putting 2 nic's in the firewall machine and
> make it the only computer connected to your router

Because I do share the net with a Windows machine :-) Yes, it doesn't really
make sense. But this is not about sense but why it doesn't work.

> if both computers are connected to the router only the machin where
> the firewall is running is protected from the internet. the other one
> has an connection to the router and the inet without a firewall.
>
> or am i completly misunderstanding your setup?

Nope. Absolutely correct. Well, the Windows machine does have the Windows SP2
Firewall installed anyway.

> >Everything's working find except SMB. SMB isn't working at all if the FW
> > is enabled. AFAIK one port (139?) is only for directory listings or
> > similar but I think the problem is something else but an closed port...
>
> you have services on your firewall machine that you access from the other
> machine or what?

No. I do have services that I access from the internet. For the LAN SMB is
sufficient.

> you can ping the firewall computer from the other one?

Sure.

And if I shut down SuSEfirewall2 everything works. It must be some stupid FW
config mistake I made...