RE: [suse-security] Amavis and NAI
  • From: "Tom Knight" <thomas.knight@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 4 Mar 2004 10:06:54 -0000

I've used it on a Solaris machine a fair while ago, and it worked very
well indeed. My only problem was that my server just didn't have the
horsepower to cope, and people started complaining about lost/delayed
email. I'm afraid I have absolutely no notes on how I did this, but
as far as I remember it was quite straightforward to set up.

Regarding price, I recall looking at the licence terms for the NAI Unix
software (included with our site NAI licence), and not being sure whether
this use of it was covered or not. As it happens, because I stopped using
it, the licence issue never became a problem. If NAI kicks up a fuss, say
you're thinking of moving to ClamAv for the server with AVG for the client
PCs. Okay, AVG corporate edition's not free, but it might worry them a
little, as the home edition _is_ free, and I'm sure they don't want to
lose any customers to Grisoft at all!

In short Amavis/NAI work well, but requires CPU/RAM.
Add SpamAssassin and you need even more CPU/RAM.
The amount you need depends on throughput, obviously.

Tom.