Re: [suse-security] Suse Linux server
  • From: "Philip B Cook" <philipbcook@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 7 Mar 2004 20:21:14 -0000
Scott,

I run the same configuration as you.
I have an AMD K6-500 motherboard running SuSE Linux 8.2 Pro.
It is connected (externally) to a Cable Modem and (internally) to a router
with 4 other attached Windows PCs.
The Linux Machine runs the following services for the network ..

DHCP
DNS - to provide a local cache of addresses as well as providing Machine
Name to IP address translations for the local network
Samba (ie Windows File & Print Sharing)
Squid - http proxy/cache
SuSEfirewall2 - firewall

All internal machines get their IP address from the linux box DHCP server
and register the address with the DNS server.
I do not use SAMBA for Domain Logon Verification (but I understand this is
possible with SAMBA).

I run the box in Text Only Linux mode, but I have previously run KDE on it
as well when I was playing.

I need specific questions to know how to help you.

Philip