Re: [suse-security] /bin/login file dissapeared
  • From: Maarten J H van den Berg <maarten@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 10 Mar 2004 05:35:31 +0100
On Wednesday 10 March 2004 04:09, Kheli wrote:

> Recently i can't telnet to my linux box. A warning appears. It said that
> it cannot find /bin/login file. I cannot login through console either. I
> just can ssh to my box.
>
> My Linux box is running Red Hat 7.2 Kernel 2.4.19. I use the box as squid
> proxy server and Apache web server.
>
> What should i do ?

Sorry if I find it funny that you ask on a SuSE security list what you must do
about your antique(!) Redhat version which is (very likely) compromised.

But that aside, you should seriously consider abandoning the box, i.e. backup
your content-files, fully format the disk and install some fresh, recent
distribution. Alternatively you can try to install and run Chkrootkit
(chkrootkit.org) if you're feeling adventurous. But that won't help getting
your box back in a useful state. It can only tell you if your suspicions are
probably right (that you have been "owned") or not.

> Thanks
Good luck