Re: [suse-security] Häng er des ssh bei 8.1
  • From: Olaf Kirch <okir@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 5 Dec 2003 11:37:56 +0100
Hi,

On Fri, Dec 05, 2003 at 10:08:34AM +0100, Stephan Holl wrote:
> I am running a YOU-updated suse 8.1 maschine.
> Sometimes, not reproducable at the moment, everything stops, no remote
> login via ssh anymore...
> all systems are down, put ping works fine.
> Also nmap shows the open ports just fine.

This looks like the kernel deadlocks. That, or one of your services is
running wild and the machine just _feels_ like it's not responsive.
One way to debug this is to enable the sysrq key (see /usr/src/linux-*/
Documentation/sysrq.txt), switch the machine to a console, and wait
for it to hang (you may have to experiment with klogconsole before
the sysrq output actually shows up on the console).

When the machine hangs, try various sysrq keys to dump the process
table and the registers. This should give you a good hint as to what
it is doing.

You could also redirect kernel log messages to the console
(again, klogconsole) and see if it prints an Oops next time
it locks up.

This is not a security problem, though...

Olaf
--
Olaf Kirch | Anyone who has had to work with X.509 has probably
okir@xxxxxxx | experienced what can best be described as