Re: [suse-security] Can't boot after kernel update. Newbie needs help.
  • From: Olaf Kirch <okir@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 5 Dec 2003 11:43:10 +0100
Hi,

> My mistake: After the update I found som *.old files, and did rm *.old
> (stupid me) on all of them.

Ouch :)

> With CD-boot I can reach runlevel 5 and login in textmode, but with no
> network connections.

That's good. If you're at the prompt, mount your file system
and reinstall the modutils package

mkdir /foo
mount /dev/hdaXXX /foo # select correct partition
rpm --root /foo -e --nodeps modutils
rpm --root /foo -ivh --force /media/cdrom/blablabla/modutils.rpm

Then re-create the initrd

chroot /foo
mk_initrd
exit
umount /foo
reboot -f

Hope this helps
Olaf
--
Olaf Kirch | Anyone who has had to work with X.509 has probably
okir@xxxxxxx | experienced what can best be described as