Re: [suse-security] Some services fail when rebooting after kernel update
  • From: Michel Messerschmidt <lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 8 Dec 2003 14:12:37 +0100
On Mon, Dec 08, 2003 at 10:59:17AM +0100, Sven Wahl wrote:
> For the sake of completeness I should say that the module has not
> only been renamed, but also moved from
>
> /lib/modules/2.4.18-4GB/kernel/sound/pci

> /lib/modules/2.4.18-4GB/misc
>

> > You could, but I think the better approach is to edit
> > /etc/modules.conf and change the "alias snd-card-0" line:
> >
> > alias snd-card-0 snd-card-intel8x0
>
> I tried so, but it didn't work out. Now I'm getting the following
> error message:
>
> Starting sound driver: card-intel8x0
> done
> The running ALSA driver looks obsolete. Stop ALSA
> now./usr/sbin/alsactl: get_controls:432: snd_ctl_open error: Sound
> protocol is not compatible
> failed

Looks like you're trying to use a plain kernel sound module as ALSA module.
They're not compatible, even if the module names are similar.
ALSA sound modules were not integrated in the kernel package on Suse 8.0
but needs to be updated separately. I don't remember the package name
for ALSA kernel modules since I stopped using ALSA after my first
kernel update :-)

HTH,
Michel
--
Michel Messerschmidt lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
antiVirusTestCenter, Computer Science, University of Hamburg