Re: [suse-security] Something strange in /etc/mtab
  • From: Stefan Seyfried <seife@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 24 Nov 2003 10:16:50 +0100
On Sun, Nov 23, 2003 at 08:42:55AM +0100, webmaster wrote:

> Hello List,
>
> Please advice me on the following:
>
> My SuSE 7.1 /etc/mtab - is
> /dev/hda3 / ext2 rw 0 0
> proc /proc proc rw 0 0
> devpts /dev/pts devtps rw,mode=0620,gid=5 0 0 ***I do not remember
> this line being written by me /dev/hda1 /boot ext2 rw 0 0

/etc/mtab is written by "mount", not edited by yourself. Do 'man mount' or
examine the boot scripts - it is cleared on every boot IIRC.

> Honestly I did look into /etc/mtab a long time ago. I do not remember
> the original. The box has nothing attached but a keyboard and a
> monitor.
>
> Nmap showed port 1414/tcp ibm-mqseries to be open - and to be closed
> when nmaping next

This has nothing to do with mtab but it is harmless.
BTW: how did you nmap, if only keyboard and monitor are attached? ;-)

> Do you see some problem here to be worried about?

no, not if you are running latest security patches on all software.
--
Stefan Seyfried

Senior Consultant community4you GmbH, Chemnitz, Germany.
http://www.community4you.de http://www.open-eis.com