SSH, SCP, JAIL and "You don't exist, go away!"
  • From: Duncan Carter <d.s.carter@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 3 Sep 2003 17:20:55 +0100
Howdoo folks, need some help.

I'm trying to set up a machine with a chroot'd ssh/scp account. SSH seems
to work no problem, but when I try to scp, I get a "You don't exist, go
away!" message.

I've done some investigation into this, and it would seem that normally it's
related to the /etc/passwd file not being accurate. I've checked this file
in both the normal system and the chroot'd environment, and it is exactly
how I would expect it to be. I've even created a file while ssh'd in to
check the UserID, and no surprise, they matched.

Please could someone advise me on what to look for/do as I have hit a very
solid brick wall very hard.

I'm thinking that it requires a verification program that I don't have
installed in the chroot. Am I right/wrong?

Please help.

Many thanks in advance.

D.