Re: [suse-security] Unwanted routing between subnets
  • From: Markus Gaugusch <markus@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 8 Sep 2003 19:37:33 +0200 (CEST)
On Sep 8, Arjen de Korte <suse-security@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Monday 08 September 2003 18:41, Holger Schletz wrote:
>
> > The setup works; both subnets have internet access. However, subnet A is
> > still accessible from subnet B and vice versa. This is not what I want;
> > instead I want the two subnets to be invisible to each other.
>
> Since both networks are on the same physical network and therefor traffic
> doesn't need to pass your router to cross from one to the other, this may be
> impossible.
Although it is impossible to prevent that physical traffic can be seen, it
is still the fault of the router that clients can reach the other subnet
(except if each client has its own routing table entry to reach the other
subnet). I'm no firewall2 expert, but I wanted to clarify this.

Markus

--
Markus Gaugusch \ / ASCII Ribbon Campaign