Re: [suse-security] Load balancing + SFQ
  • From: Felipe Alfaro Solana <felipe_alfaro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 16 Sep 2003 14:22:57 +0200
On Tue, 2003-09-16 at 07:54, Ariel Sabiguero wrote:
> Hi there!
> I am about to set-up an Internet connection that binds two ADSL lines
> (don't ask why two instead of one bigger!).

I've never figured out how to do this: if you try to glue to ADSL lines
together, since each ADSL has its own IP address, you'll end up
confusing the remote end when packets start arriving from both different
ADSL interfaces and thus different IP addresses. Let'see:

ADSL#1 IP 1.0.0.1
ADSL#2 IP 2.0.0.1

Now, you create a TCP connection to 213.0.0.1:

SYN packet 1.0.0.1 -> 213.0.0.1
ACK packet 213.0.0.1 -> 1.0.0.1
SYN+ACK packet 2.0.0.1 -> 213.0.0.1 (we assume we are using a
round-robin like scheme when sending datagrams)

The remote end will get consused when receiving a SYN+ACK from 2.0.0.1
since it was expecting the SYN+ACK to come from 1.0.0.1. Thus, the TCP
connection won't be established.

Is this scenario correct? I assume we need to set-up a virtual interface
on both ends to allow this kind of bonding.