Re: [suse-security] 2.nd mail
  • From: John Trickey <lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 1 Jul 2003 12:47:10 +0100
Hi,

Quoting Gooly <gooly@xxxxxx>:

> BUT at the same time I got an infromation that exactly this mail (abs. same
> content) could not have been delivered to another address
> martens@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx:
> Final-Recipient: rfc822;d.martens@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> Action: failed
> It looks as if copies of my mails are automatically sent to a second
> address!!

Looks like the receiving MTA is at fault.

Explanation:

There are two sets of address fields in an email, the envelope and the
headers. When you sent the mail the 'To' fields in both were suse-
security@xxxxxxxx and the 'From' fields were gooly@xxxxxxx

When it gets redistributed by the SuSE list server, these are changed. The
header fields remain untouched but the envelope changes as follows 'To'
becomes the list-members-address and 'From' becomes suse-security-return-
NNNNNN-MMMMM=OOOOOOOOOOO@xxxxxxxxx NNNNN is the article number MMMM is the
user part of the email address and OOOOOO is the server. So your mail should
have gone to this user with an envelope of:-
To d.martens@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
>From suse-security-return-19029-d.martens=prointernet.de@xxxxxxxx

The From address is like this so the list server can detect errors. Other list
server software uses different techniques but the end result is the same.

When an error is encountered the MTA should take the envelope address in
preference to the Header fields but in this case it appears to have done it
wrong. It seems it sent you the error instead of the list.

The down side of this is that users get unnecessary mails and the list server
software never learns that d.martens@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx is an invalid address.

HTH

John