Re: [suse-security] SCP-proxy / SFTP-proxy wanted
On Thu, 17 Jul 2003 08:51:03 +0200 (CEST), Markus Gaugusch
<markus@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Jul 17, GentooRulez <paranoiac_user@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>> Maybe stunnel kann help you de encode your ftp-traffic.
> FTP is a very weird protocoll. FTP over SSL is just more weird! I'd
> recommend to use HTTP for servers offering files, and sftp/scp for
> uploads.
>
> Markus

If you use ftp in passive-mode the control connection that
transports the user/password data can by encrypted via stunnel.

http://www.stunnel.org/examples/ftp.html

snip
---
>well, so long, so good maybe it would be a niche idea to
>add some info to your faq explaining that secured ftp
>control connection, using pasive mode, is possible as
>indicated above wheras a secured data connection
>evidently cannot be established over stunnel.
---
snap

Hope that helps

Michael