Re: [suse-security] Windows commands for linux internet
  • From: dproc@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 12 May 2003 18:06:06 -0500
On Mon, 12 May 2003, Manfred Pausch wrote:

> quick-n-dirty solution: plink.exe (ssh-client for windows command line)
> http://the.earth.li/~sgtatham/putty/latest/x86/plink.exe
>
> c:\plink.exe root@LinuxBox -p <root-pw> <dialin-command>
>
> the problem is that the root-password is stored in the
> link on the 9x-desktop :(

Recent versions of putty (and I assume that means recent versions of
plink) will work with RSA or DSA public keys. This means you don't
have to store the password in the icon. Just make a key pair with a
null passphrase (or a real one if your prefer) and upload the public
key to the GNU/Linux box (instructions for this are distributed with
putty as its easy but not obvious.)

Also don't use the root account. Use an unprivileged account that can
run wvdial (or cinternet or whatever command you prefer.) Configure
the ssh public key to only run that command. The server will be a
little less vulnerable when the 9X box gets backdoored.