Re: [suse-security] Discontinued SuSE Linux Distributions
  • From: Martin Schichl <mschichl@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 14 May 2003 12:48:42 +0200
Dear suse-security team,

>With the release of the SuSE Linux 8.2 i386 ftp version, we announce that
>the SuSE Linux 7.1 distribution will be discontinued for all
>architectures.

I have still a server running on Suse 7.1 and I do not want to change
to a newer Linux, as I think the saying: "Never change a running system"
is correct.
On the other hand. as there are no updates anymore for security leaks
I think I will have to switch to a newer Suse ...

My problem: The machine is a server which should be running permanently.
So I should update the system while running the machine ... any ideas if there
are problems updating the system to 8.2 from 7.1 ...

I can remember I had to work for two days to get my server running again,
when I upgraded from 6.3 to 7.1 ... as the directories, etc. did not fit
anymore ... :-((((

Any hints or other suggestions?

ThanX,

Martin

Dipl.-Ing. Martin Schichl
SC&C Software, Communication & Consulting GmbH & Co KEG

Grottenhofstr. 3, A-8053 Graz
Tel. +43/(0)316/265-205, Fax +43/(0)316/265-234
mschichl@xxxxxxxxx, http://scc.co.at