Re: [suse-security] Discontinued SuSE Linux Distributions
  • From: Bjorn Tore Sund <bjornts@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 14 May 2003 13:44:37 +0200 (CEST)

On Wed, 14 May 2003, Markus Gaugusch wrote:

> On May 14, Martin Schichl <mschichl@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > I have still a server running on Suse 7.1
> > [...]
> > My problem: The machine is a server which should be running permanently.
> > So I should update the system while running the machine ... any ideas if there
> > are problems updating the system to 8.2 from 7.1 ...
> I would install 8.2 on a new harddisk, copy all settings from the 7.1
> machine and swap disks (this saves you from doing a backup ;) or copy the
> new installation over the old one.

Part of the question is how permanent "permanent" is. If you can handle
an hour downtime I'd sit down with a desktop already running 8.2 and do
the full setup for the server using the AutoYast dialogue. The only
downtime you'll see is the time it takes to move the OS onto the machine.
Less than an hour. If that's too much, Markus' suggestion is your only
option.

> > I can remember I had to work for two days to get my server running
> > again, when I upgraded from 6.3 to 7.1 ... as the directories, etc. did
> > not fit anymore ... :-((((
> Will be the same with 8.2, lots of things have changed (which is good
> IMHO, because it means that there is still some movement in the
> distribution).

Part of the reason I rarely skip a release is I get to solve those
differences little by little, spending less time and causing less
frustration each time.

Bjørn
--
Bjørn Tore Sund Phone: (+47) 555-84894 Stupidity is like a
System administrator Fax: (+47) 555-89672 fractal; universal and