Re: [suse-security] What's keeps changing my inet.d sequence
  • From: John Andersen <jsa@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 21 May 2003 17:26:10 -0800
On Wednesday 21 May 2003 09:24, Arjen de Korte wrote:
> On Wednesday 21 May 2003 18:59, Ken Schneider wrote:
> > > If you don't like the startup order, you need to modify the
> > > dependencies in the headers of the scripts that start the services. Not
> > > that I can think of a valid reason to do so, but it is possible.
> >
> > Because some scripts NEED to start AFTER other scripts, I.E. webmin
> > needs to start AFTER the network is up, but the default is to start
> > before the network is up.
>
> In that case, changing the startup order, may seem to work. It determines
> only the startup order of the scripts, it will NOT make sure the actual
> services are started. Therefor, if webmin can only start AFTER the network
> is up, you must verify that the network is up in the startup script of
> webmin. The bare fact that the webmin script is started after the network
> script will not guarantee this.
>
> I'm still not convinced of a valid reason to change the startup order.

Are you trying to be difficult or does it come naturally?

If webmin won't start before the network is up, then accepting
the default of starting it before will yield a 100% failure rate.

Verifying that network is up in the startup script (its probably already
doing that) will, if the default are taken, always indicate that the network
is down. You will have to deal with this problem each and every time
you boot.

The simple act of scheduling webmin to start later will alleviate
this problem except in those cases where the network has failed
to start, and in those cases you don't need webmin.

If this is not a valid reason to change orders I would like to know
which god I need pray to in order to be granted a "valid" reason.

--
John Andersen