Re: [suse-security] Re: SuSE Security Announcement: xf86 (SuSE-SA:2002:032)
  • From: Ben Rosenberg <ben@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 18 Sep 2002 13:31:24 -0700
* Ken Schneider (kschneider@xxxxxxxx) [020918 12:24]:
::SuSE should NOT have to support all versions back to the time they
::started a distribution i.e. earlier than 7.0. People have had enough
::time to upgrade to something more resent to be better able to have
::recent security fixes.

I didn't say back to 7.0, but it's fairly reasonable to do 2-3 releases
such as 7.2 - 8.0 and drop the 3rd oldest when a new release is issued.
I don't know about you but working 70hrs a week..then doing what your
other has planned for you during the other free time takes up quite a
bit. I don't think having security updates to software that exists on
the servers is a big deal for the 2-3 releases..including the current in
that 2-3.

::If you DO NOT want to upgrade for the security fixes that is your own
::fault and NOT the fault of SuSE. Besides purchasing the newer version
::helps to support SuSE to provide ALL of the fixes they provide not just
::the security fixes. But then this IS getting to be OFF TOPIC.

My boxes stay very current, but I don't agree that because it's not in
the update directory but in the supplementry directory that updates
shouldn't be provided.

With the exception of 2 releases that came out while I was working at
SuSE...I've bought every release since the last in the 4.x cycle.
I could on and on about the things I do to still to support SuSE, but I
won't ..this is the last I'll say on the subject. I just wish to have
updates..even if they are for just security updates for all software
that sits in the supplementry (because lots of people use it) and the
regular update directory.

Anyway..back to the regularly scheduled programs. ;)

--
Ben Rosenberg ---===---===---===--- mailto:ben@xxxxxxxxx
Tell me what you believe..

< Previous Next >