RE: [suse-security] FreeBSD NIS Server + SuSE Linux Client
  • From: Bjorn Tore Sund <bjornts@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 5 Aug 2002 10:28:37 +0200 (CEST)

On Fri, 2 Aug 2002, Thomas Schweikle wrote:

> > I thought I'd ask one more time to see if anyone has any
> > information on making SuSE Linux work with a standard NIS
> > server before I give up and go back to FreeBSD...
>
> There are differences between these two making it a bit
> complicated to set up a NIS server recognized by both
> Linux and FreeBSD:
<snip>

> 2. NIS tables are different for both systems.
> 3. NIS on Linux does not know about "shadow" maps and
> doesn't accept "*" for passwords, making it look at
> another map.

Ummm. That's configurable. If you're happy with what your
server has, fix the list in /etc/nsswitch.conf on the client.
In particular, replace the line "passwd: compat" with the
two lines "passwd: files nis" and "shadow: files nis".

> If you want to try it nevertheless, setup your FreeBSD NIS
> server now:
> - combine passwd and shadow
> - export the new map
>
> make shure passwords are seen on linux side by executing
> "ypcat passwd".
> Now switch linux to use MD5 for password entries.
> You should be off and running now!

The one thing I found no trace of in Glen's message was him
editing the password file, adding a '+'...

Bjørn
--
Bjørn Tore Sund Phone: (+47) 555-84894 Stupidity is like a
System administrator Fax: (+47) 555-89672 fractal; universal and