Nasty NFS-Problem
  • From: Stefan Rauch <lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 9 Aug 2002 18:41:53 +0200
Hi,
I have a nasty Problem concerning NFS. Its concerning the integrity of a
mailbox in maildir format imported via NFS.

I have two Systems with SuSE Linux 8.0 Pro (both updated with YOU), one is
running as NFS/NIS Server and the second one is NIS and NFS-Client. The Home
Directory for each user is located on the Server.
At a first glance everything seems to work fine. All users can work without
any problem with files in their home dirs.
But if someone uses Kmail (the Maildir is in the Homedirectory) this happens:

KMail does not remember, which mails have already been read. E.g. I read a
new mail, Kmail marks it correctly as read. After restarting KMail exactly
this mail is marked as new. This Problem accours only in a few folders. The
Mailbox is in maildir format . In the mailbox, all mails, that have been read
are in the folder cur but they are not recognized as already read.

I had this problem a few months ago (with SuSE 8.0, too). At this time I was
able to ship around by changing the kernel based NFS-Server against an
userspace NFS-Server, but now this workaround doesn't help.

I never had this problem with an older SuSE-Version.
Any hints?
best regards

Stefan Rauch