Using imapd without shell-access?
  • From: Michael Zimmermann <zim@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 11 Aug 2002 20:52:17 +0200
Hi friends,

could you please help me? I fumbled around for some time
now, looked at the imapd sources and searched the net but
could not solve the following problem:

When I call imapd for a user with a normal shell account
(e.g. the shell is /bin/bash for that user), imap-access
is doing fine. But when I use a dummy shell for the same
user (say /bin/false or similiar) imapd refuses to login
with the syslog-message

... imapd[27691]: Login failure user=blah host=blah ...

Any hint or idea? Anybody using imapd for users without shells?
Or are you doing it within chroot environments only?

I'm well aware, that the IMAP-protocoll gives the user some
sort of shell on the system. But I would like to understand
how (and where) imapd is using the normal user's shell in
addition to it's own system-access.

Thanks for your help
Michael

BTW the system is a SuSE 8.0 with imap-2000c-139
--
Michael Zimmermann (Vegaa Safety and Security for Internet Services)
Key fingerprint = 1E47 7B99 A9D3 698D 7E35 9BB5 EF6B EEDB 696D 5811

< Previous Next >