NFS rules and performance
  • From: Schoenwaelder Oliver <oschoenwaelder@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 12 Aug 2002 15:43:21 +0200
Hi list,

we have two SuSE 8.0 (kernel 2.4.18 and all the latest patches) running on
two sites, connected via internet.
Server A has public ip address and server B is host on private LAN behind
NATed gateway.
Now we exported a directory on server A via nfs.
At server B we mount this directory.
For our firewall (iptables) we opened upd ports for rpc (111) and nfs(2049).
And after each reboot we have to add/modify the mountd port (got with
rpcinfo -p localhost).
But I think there must be an exact definition of what to allow for nfs on
client and server side. But what?

And we have a very poor nfs performance. Doing an "ls" on one of subdirs
with few files is ok, but with another subdir which contains 100+ files this
proccess doesn't return in proper time (it takes minutes!!!). Any idea?

Thx,

Oliver