Re: [suse-security] Encrypt E-Mails without human-agreement
  • From: Steffen Dettmer <steffen@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 16 Aug 2002 12:16:28 +0200
* Sven 'Darkman' Michels wrote on Thu, Aug 15, 2002 at 21:06 +0200:
> GJ wrote:
> > Hi, all LINUX-enthusiasts,
> >
> > I've a gigantic but also a very commmon problem. How can I encrypt
> > E-Mail, without the social dependency from others?
>
> IF both MTA support ssl, the mail will be transfered encrypted.

But keep in mind, that even if you sent a mail with TLS on SMPT,
the mailserver may relay that mail via clear SMTP or whatever to
another mailserver. So don't count on it!

> So if your MTA and the MTA of the other company speaks TLS,
> your clients on both sides also uses ssl for smtp/pop3/imap,
> the mail will transfered in an encryption tunnel.

But no guarantee that it wasn't sent in clear in between.
Additionally, it may be questionable if you trust all server
admins on the mail path.

oki,

Steffen