From: Armin Schöch [mailto:armin@xxxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Monday, August 19, 2002 8:39 AM
To: Thomas Wheeler
Cc: 'suse-security@xxxxxxxx'
Subject: Re: [suse-security] YAST and updates

Hi !

> Does any one know what ports yast's update use, I know it uses port21 but
> what other ports dies it use? I am using the ncurses good old text based
> update.

The first thing YOU does is sending a "ping" to the ftp-server. If
this fails because of a firewall, YOU will tell you:
"No network connection".

The file transfer is done by standard FTP protocol AFAIK. This means
port 21 for the control connection + all highports (>1023) for the
data connections.

HTH,
Armin

--
Am Hasenberg 26 office: Institut für Atmosphärenphysik
D-18209 Bad Doberan Schloss-Straße 6

< Previous Next >