Re: [suse-security] How to go about mixing kernel patches...
  • From: Mark Müller <trusted@xxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 01 Jun 2002 11:55:49 +0200
JW (by way of JW ) wrote:
> My first difficulty is applying the SE Linux patch to the
> SuSE-patched kernel.
>
> I applied lsm-2.4-2002050211.patch.gz to vanila 2.4.18 and they apply
> perfectly.
>
> I applied it to linux-2.4.18-SuSE and got some errors, producing the
> following rejects:
Hello,

I would not do this, because this means unecessary work. I don't know if and what SuSE changed to the kernel (maybe someone from SuSE could clear that point), but using a vanilla kernel and applying LSM is a better solution. It works and it is not necessary to update every SuSE kernel in order to have the latest SuSE *and* LSM/SELinux enhancements.

Better stick with a normal kernel, make adjustments with make menuconfig before compiling and let's wait until LSM finds its way into the standard kernel. Then SuSE will have LSM by default - no need for patching anymore.

Mark