Fou4s - Fast OnlineUpdate for SuSE 0.6.0
  • From: Markus Gaugusch <markus@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 5 Jun 2002 21:51:04 +0200 (CEST)
Hi,
A major new release of my Yast OnlineUpdate replacement is out.
Fou4s is best suited to be run as a cron job and automatically
download/install update packages.

>From the Changelog:

0.6.0, Wed Jun 5 2002
* Fixes for 0.5.0
+ Fixed error "too many arguments", if Auto= in config file was empty or
not set
+ lsof now uses -n parameter to disable network resolution (faster!)
+ If there are installation problems, a recommendation for -a option is
printed
+ "Need to download ... packages" counted packages from remarklist too
* Multiple Server support!! This should make multi-configfile "hacks"
obsolete.
* /etc/fou4s.conf will not be moved away anymore during RPM update. The
new version is now saved as /etc/fou4s.conf.rpmnew when updating. This
behaviour will be kept as long as possible from now on.
* Fou4s public GPG key is now delivered with fou4s itself and not
downloaded from the keyservers (some people behind proxies had problems
with this).
* Support for patch.rpm files (has always worked, but now it's official ;)
* Use http://ftp.gwdg.de as default server, because ftp doesn't work with
proxy and http is faster. BTW: you can ignore HTTP 416 errors from wget.
(please change your current config file if you are updating)

Fou4s is available from http://fou4s.gaugusch.at or via
fou4s -u --checkfou4s && fou4s -i

Bad News:
SuSE has removed package description files for SuSE 6.4 and 7.0. See also
the statement on my homepage. This will also break Email Server II
updates. I'm sorry, but there is nothing I can do.
Maybe some volunteer can provide package descriptions (they are only
simple text files), that point to a SuSE mirror. Fou4s could then use
those package descriptions. I don't run SuSE 7.0 anymore, so don't ask Me.
Fou4s checks all packages against the SuSE build key, so there won't be a
security problem with trojaned packages! The only exception is fou4s
itself, which is checked against fou4s@xxxxxxxxxxx

regards,
Markus Gaugusch

--
Markus Gaugusch \ / ASCII Ribbon Campaign

  • No further messages