Re: [suse-security] Resetting Firewall2
  • From: John Andersen <jsa@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 12 Jun 2002 00:28:25 -0800
On Tuesday 11 June 2002 08:54 am, GrdnWsl wrote:
> Sorry, I forgot to clarify myself. I'm running SuSE 7.3 Professional.
> I currently don't have any custom firewall rules in place. I only have
> holes punched through the firewall to let our scrificial host talk to
> the real hosts inside our network. I'm doing this using the
> "FW_FORWARD_MASQ=" line in '/etc/rc.config.d/firewall2.rc.config'. My
> question is, how do I restart the firewall to re-read that file. I
> tried 'SuSEfirewall2 stop/start' but it appears to only try to reload
> any custom firewall rules. Maybe I'm doing this the hard way. If any
> of you know a better way to do this, please let me know. Thanks again.

I run the same version you do, and long since have found that
Shorewall is vastly easier to set up and understand, and far more
flexible.
http://www.shorewall.net/
And restarting shorewall is as easy as "shorewall restart".

In my humble opinion... <dons combat helmet>...
Suse should just build Shorewall into their distro and put their firewall
man-hours to better use.
No I Don't Yahoo!
And I'm getting pretty sick of being asked if I do.
John Andersen / Juneau Alaska