Re:trust mechanisms
  • From: "andre@do" <andre@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 10 Feb 2002 01:24:20 +0200
Gerry Doris wrote:

First, I want to thank you for the sendmail authentication instructions you posted to the SUSE list back on Dec 16. I'm not sure where I came across this but I have a printed copy that I've used to set my server.

However, I do have a question...

What are the following trust mechanisms for: GSSAPI, DPA, and NTLM?

Gerry

quote : "The GSSAPI is a generic API for doing client-server authentication. The
motivation behind it is that every security system has it's own API, and the
effort involved with adding different security systems to applications is
extremely difficult with the variance between security APIs. However, with a
common API, application vendors could write to the generic API and it could
work with any number of security systems."
best is see rfc 2743 rfc1509 rfc1964

DPA is Distributed Password Authentication agains an membership database (mcis)

NTLM authentication is means of sending a username/password via encrypted text.

hth

andre

  • No further messages