Re: [suse-security] building boot cd
  • From: lars@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 3 Jan 2002 05:43:32 +0100
Oops, repost to the list just in case it is usefull to anybody else.
sorry Gunther, you got it twice. (grmblrememberuselistreply)
On Wed, Jan 02, 2002 at 02:37:01PM +0100, Gunther Stammwitz wrote:

> Most of my computers don't have floppy tapes but cdroms. I'm in need for a
> suse boot-cd that allows me to load the necessary modules for my nic and
> then run the ftp-installation.
dont the suse install CD1 do that? ok, yes, you have to do some choose
from menu, press enter, ..., but it worked for me.(iirc)

> any ideas ?
well, you could make your own diskimage with exactly those modules you need

> I think the limit of 2.88 megs is the problem.....
>
> It would be nice to select the harddrive-emulation and copy all files in a
> "harddrive" folder. So far no problem, but how can I copy the lilo
> boot-record on the cd ?
> Any ideas ?
use cdrecord -b

you may find these links usefull:
The Linux Bootdisk HOWTO
http://www.linuxdoc.org/HOWTO/Bootdisk-HOWTO/
CD-Writing HOWTO
http://www.linuxdoc.org/HOWTO/CD-Writing-HOWTO.html
the FAQs section in
http://www.linuxdoc.org/HOWTO/CDROM-HOWTO/

howto make 2.88MB el torito floppy disk images
http://rescuecd.sourceforge.net/288.html

a post with a script mkbimage for use with the grub boot loader.
you could change it to use lilo if you prefer; I remember there where
problems with root on LV whith other loaders than lilo when I last tried
to do it... If you dont use LVM or they fixed it or I did it wrong ...
just try it out.
http://lists.debian.org/debian-hurd/2001/debian-hurd-200110/msg00136.html

I did not try hd-emulation myself, but If you combine the info from the
above links you should be able to do it.
probably the easy way is to make a boot image with ATAPI driver, do some
sort of "intelligent" init script and load modules from CD.

I wonder wy you wont use the suse CDs though.

hope that helps,
lars

< Previous Next >